Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials

To: "hasan schiers" <schiers@netins.net>,"Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "Dave Tipton" <dave@lodave.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:58:29 -0700
At 06:52 AM 6/16/2006, hasan schiers wrote:
>Actually, they can be MUCH shorter than .22 wl, as long as you have enough
>of them. Many more shorter is quite a bit better than many fewer longer.
>
>There are free programs by G4FGQ, RADIAL2 is the name I think, but just
>google G4FGQ and you will get to his site and free downloads. The radial
>program is a good one and answers all the questions being raised. It lets
>you manipulate number/length/freq and ground characteristics to show
>efficiency. VERY HANDY!

Except that Reg's program isn't necessarily a very good model of
radials.  He's modeling the radial field as a bunch of lossy transmission
lines (which is sort of fine), but doesn't account for the transfer of
energy into the surrounding soil, some of which reradiates, as opposed to
being simply loss in an equivalent loss resistance. Reg has some
explanation of what he's doing in the notes in the program, but doesn't
publish his algorithms or source code, so it's tough to figure exactly what
he's doing (and I'm not patient enough to just run lots of cases and
reverse engineer it).  It's also not clear how Reg is modeling wires close
to the surface, where a significant part of the field crosses the
ground/air boundary.

That said, it might be a handy way to tinker around and gain some
understanding of the effect of various radials.

If you really, really want to model radials, you're probably best off to
fork out the bucks for a copy of NEC4 and do it right. (NEC4 does model
buried wires, and has been rigorously validated, and all the gory details
are published) Otherwise, just use the "throw lots of wire out, don't worry
about the exact length, and more radials is better than fewer" approach.

Jim