[TowerTalk] Antenna Choices

To: <britech@earthlink.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Choices
From: <doktorij@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 7:44:07 -0400
Allen,

Just went through a similiar mental exercise as you. My interests are the same,
contesting and DX.

The mast I use (AB-621) is about 52' tall. I have a 2 element 5 band quad at
one location and a 205BA on the same mast at another. The quad is fine, but
needed a little more punch. The 205BA is excellent, but band limited.

I looked at several LPDA, the more traditional tri-banders (5 band as well), a
three element quad and SteppIr 3 and 4 element yagis. The LPDA seemed to be the
most cost effective solution to covering the 5 bands, but the performance was
only so-so IMHO. The other antennas generally had more square footage than I
wanted, or in the case of the quad would be more difficult to install and tune.

The price of the SteppIr antennas were not attractive at first glance. I liked
the specs and what I've heard from other users. Also, I was able to see the
guts of one at Dayton and watched as they put together the 4 element. So I
bought a 4 element (which is in transit as I write this).

Two of the TCG members I know have SteppIr (3 and 4 elements) and post good
scores using them. Neither have had any problems with the antennas.

Will it be the "right" antenna? Hopefully... For my situation/limitations, I
think it will be excellent, else I would not have bought it.

Good luck with your installation and see you in the next 'test.

73,
Julius
n2wn