[TowerTalk] re Gap Voyager gotchas

Subject: [TowerTalk] re Gap Voyager gotchas
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:52:17 +0000
thanks Jim; I also thought about modifying the Voyager and turning it into
something else but then I thought if I'm gg to do that, I may as well just
buy aluminum pipe sections, or a steel pushup mast and have something more
robust for less money.

I also wanted to add a couple of comments I forgot to mention
yesterday--regardless of the drawbacks the voyager can fit into some pretty
limited space and you do get at least a couple of bands decently from what
I've heard (80 and 40) so there's that gg for it.

The elevated performace information I had came partly from a review of the
Voyager by Gordon West in 73 when the Voyager was a new product.   Gordon
put his review antenna up on the peak of his house(!) and as I recall
reported it worked fairly well.  There was a photo showing what I assume was
his house somewhere in the L.A. area; I think he had a 1 story ranch house.
But gee whiz, how many guys would put that thing up on a house roof--it was
a sight to see and how he got it up there I have no idea.  It sounds like
it's hard enough walking it up on the ground.  I don't think he had it on
his roof for very long.  i found the review--it's on the gap website at

rob / k5uj