Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires

To: phil@grateones.com, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:14:27 -0700
At 04:38 AM 7/2/2006, phil@grateones.com wrote:
>Do you folks know where I can buy wire, with wire numbers printed every
>few inches on the coating? I would need #16 rolls numbered 1 - 30 so I
>don't have to waste time putting number stickers on the wires in a control
>system.
>Thanks
>Phil

Most wire companies will do hot stamping on any wire you care to
name.  Minimum orders are typically small.  A few tens of dollars for setup
+ a penny a foot or so (this was about 10 years ago, when I priced it).

You could also just order 30 different colors/stripes.  10 base colors plus
10 stripe colors gives you 100 possibilities, or, two color stripes.  Not
all color combinations are available, but there's a heck of a lot of them
available from stock, or nearly so.  Color stripes are cheaper than
printing on the wire (less setup.. they don't have to make a wheel up with
your letters.. it's just a color roller)

You want the middling size wire company for this.. they usually buy bulk
copper wire and put their own jackets on.  Check your local yellow
pages.  Or call one of the coax dealers selling into the ham market.. they
might know who can do it.

A couple years ago, I was contemplating getting extension cords and coax
stamped with my name and call sign (so you could get it back after FD, for
instance), but, in the case of extension cords, it's almost as easy to just
write it with a Sharpie (especially if you have kids to do the actual work)

If you're in the Los Angeles area, I can find the names of the places I
checked out 10-15 yeats ago.