Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:15:14 +0800
I had earlier asked K4FMX for proof that his tower(s) have
NEVER been hit by lightning but Gary is unwilling to share
that information.  Then a second question entered my mind
"why would Gary mount a rabbit's foot on his tower in the
first place"?  Mmmmm.  But that is not the reason for this
post.

I would not reply to such a question either, it would be a fool's errand.

You have asked him to prove a negative.

He could ask in reply that you prove that you have
never QRM'd someone without knowing it.

My question - Is it possible to have a direct lightning
strike on a tower and yet show no visible or hidden signs on
the tower and/or appendage(s) or show no 'secondary' signs
in the immediate area surrounding the tower?
Doug/VA5DX

Direct? Improbable.

Indirect and/or surge, sure.

Theoretically.

Again, the failure to define parameters sufficiently
renders the question impossible to answer meaningfully.

Tower materials, grounding system, cables, connectors,
etc. are all variables critical to such an analysis.

I don't know about porcupines and rabbit's feet and
such but do prefer that discussions remain in the realm
of clear reasoning.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
http://bibleseven.com