[TowerTalk] Mast and Thrust Bearing questions

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast and Thrust Bearing questions
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 16:55:34 -0400
I bought a Rohn TB-3 four years ago and when I received it and turned it by
hand and it would often lock up.  I returned it and got a replacement, which
turned a little easier.  I installed the bearing on my Aruba tower and after
several months it started to bind.  The binding was only noticeable when
turning by hand as somehow the rotator was able to turn the mast.  I then
sprayed a little WD40 into the bearing and it turned easier, however I
quickly replaced the Rohn bearing with one made by Create.

John KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: "David Robbins K1TTT"

I have had 2 tb-3's at 150' above peru mass for 22 years without touching
them.  At least 4 others also up for periods from 20 to 7 years, never a
failure here.  Never a drop of lube.