[TowerTalk] Generator Sizing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Generator Sizing
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:30:16 EDT

Greetings:

I am no expert in power generators.  BUT, I do know that  there is a BIG
consideration in sizing generators that could come into  play.  Buying extra
large
units could cost you big bucks in maintenance  costs.

With something in the order of 15-20 or more KW, you run  serious danger of
damaging the unit if it is not being used at something like  65% of rated
output.  I cannot recall, but I think the rings, valves, etc.  do not fair well
when running  a low percentage of capacity.  We  installed 25+ KW units in
Kuwait
at customer's insistence and despite strong  warnings from the supplier
(ONAN?).  Accordingly,
we installed large load banks to heat up the Kuwait air to  keep units at a
decent percentage of ratings.

Regards,  Warren;  W7WY