Re: [TowerTalk] cadweld v. silver solder

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cadweld v. silver solder
From: Roger D Johnson <>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:32:47 -0400
Jim Jarvis wrote:
> AM Broadcast antenna installations routinely use silver solder.
> Can't say there's never been a problem, but I haven't seen one
> reported.
> I can say that I've observed many tens of direct tower strikes,
> with zero ground system failures due to the strike current.
> And, I've replaced aged ground systems without ever noticing a
> problem with the silver solder.
> The fact that you have to use acetylene to get the stuff hot
> enough may tell you something....there is silver-bearing solder
> which has a low melting point.  That's NOT what you want.  If I
> recall correctly, the stuff we've used melts @ 800F.  You can't
> get there with propane.
> Having said that, I don't own an acetylene torch (you can rent 'em),
> and as a result, have used clamps and gentle radii in my home ground
> systems.
> But I haven't put in a 10x10 ground screen & 120 radials, either.
> n2ea/jim

Apparently, CAD welding is a true welding process which joins the
conductors together using superheated copper. However, I doubt that
the increased resistance of a brazed joint would make any difference
in the real world. Brazing requires a modicum of skill while CAD
welding is almost idiot proof. Therein, I think, lies the real reason
for requiring CAD welded connections.

73, Roger

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)