Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Cadwelding vs Silver Solder for GroundRadia

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Cadwelding vs Silver Solder for GroundRadial, Systems
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:57:15 -0400

> Phil Camera wrote:
>> DO NOT Solder (or braze or anything like that) any ground connections.
>> NEC only allows mechanical or exothermic connections.  (I wonder why?)
>
> Can someone explain the difference between a CADWELDED joint and one
> that is properly brazed? The only difference I can see is the means
> of generating the heat.

CadWeld (TM) is true welding in that the copper cable and the steel ground
rod are fused together forming an alloy of copper and iron/steel.  Brazing
is much like soldering with the difference being the brazing material
melting temperature is close to the melting point of at least one of the
metals being joined. So it's with soldering and brazing the definition is
one of degree while welding is...welding.

Exothermic is specified as it gives the most uniform weld.  A CadWeld(TM)
uses a measured amount of material in a specific size container which
results in a nice, clean, uniform junction.  I don't have a good photo
showing the actual finished junction but the bottom half of
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm
will show the CadWelding(TM) process.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com