Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

To: 'Gary Schafer' <>,,'K8RI on Tower talk' <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike
From: Doug Renwick <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:53:18 -0600

You have convinced me that I am wasting my time as you are
unwilling to share how you know that your tower(s) have
never been hit by lightning.  No point in 'beating a dead
I will REPEAT how I determine my tower bleeds off the the storm approaches I can hear a 'sparking'
(audible) at the tower.  I have copied my post below for you
to reread.

"I have had a 'pointed' mast without a porcupine and a
'pointed' mast with a porcupine and in both configurations I
have not had any lightning damage ever, anywhere at my
present QTH in almost 30 years.  My neighbours say that they
have seen my tower take a direct hit, out of the corner of
my eye I think that I have seen my tower take a direct hit,
but I can not absolutely prove that indeed the tower took a
direct hit.  The top of my main tower will bleed off the
ground is very audible.  I am not promoting or
discounting the porcupine, just sharing my experience, and
my experience doesn't cost you anything."

Please let me know what you find when you do your tower
I am trying to determine that my towers may have taken a
direct lightning hit and yet show no damage.  That
information will prove to me that the design have used for
my antenna farm is sufficient in avoiding damage from

I am going to use your logic here. Let's review what you
said in a past

> Not true in my case.  Before I installed the porcupine my
mast bleed off
> the charge.

How do you know it bleed off "the charge"?

> A number of years ago I added the porcupine and my
mast/porcupine combo
> still bleeds off the charge.

How do you know it "still bleeds off the charge"?

> In other words, my addition of the porcupine did not have
a negative
> effect.  In almost 30 years I have not had any lightning
damage.  One of
> my mottos is 'experience trumps theory EVERY time' and
this is another
> example.

> Doug/VA5DX

Ok, since I installed my rabbit's foot on my tower I have
not had any
lightning damage either and I don't claim it bleeds off any

Would you say that my experience trumps any theory about a
rabbit's foot
being the better protector?

Gary  K4FMX

Checked by AVG Free Edition.