Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)

To: "Michael Tope" <>,"JC Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:56:02 -0700
At 07:41 AM 7/12/2006, Michael Tope wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <>
>>>I wonder... if you roll (the long way) copper strap you could put it inside
>>>hose.  As long as the inside circumference of the hose was greater than the
>>>width of the strap you wouldn't be forming a tube with the strap.  What if
>>>you slit the copper tube before using it, would that be enough to allow both
>>>the inside and outside to conduct high frequency current?
>>There's no reason why you couldn't propagate current on the inside of the
>>pipe without slitting it.  That's what happens in coax.
>Not without a center conductor. Otherwise you'd have a waveguide
>beyond cutoff.

Only if you're propagating the wave in a transverse mode. DC is below
cutoff, but it's carried on the inside(as well as inside the metal,
etc.).  The question might be, if you have a seamless tube, and you have a
current on the inside, will the magnetic field push it to the outside.  An
interesting problem.