Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing cables at PVC exit?

To: Edward Sylvester <navydude1962@yahoo.com>,"Richard M. Gillingham" <rmoodyg@bellsouth.net>,JC Smith <jc-smith@comcast.net>, Paul@PaulFerguson.us,TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing cables at PVC exit?
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 03:26:21 +0000
Ed:

     My first suggestion to you:  Use 4 inch conduit if possible.  I used three
inch because that was the max width hole my DitchWitch (tm) would cut for me.
I should have at least tried to sink 4 inch PVC into the hole, but too late
now.

     Second suggestion:  I think you left off the word <not> in front of
<making> or in front of <a good idea> in your e-mail, below.  You do NOT want
to glue the elbows to the vertical PVC.

     Yes, I also installed a pull rope for future use in the conduit.
Essentially, I pulled it along with the last coax cable through the conduit.

     Finally, you ought to drill a few half-inch diameter holes in the
undersides of the low spots in your PVC run.  This will allow any accumulated
water (and there WILL be some) to drain into the earth below.  You can also dig
a small pit underneath these PVC holes and fill the pits with gravel to act as
a drain field.  You keep the critters out of these holes by wrapping them (the
holes, not the critters)  in landscape cloth and securing the cloth with wire
ties around the PVC.

Gil:

     You keep the critters out of the ends of the PVC by plugging the ends with
some pliable material like fiberglass insulation or that expanding foam stuff.
I've used fiberglass insulation because the critters around these parts don't
seem to have an appetite for it and it's a lot easier to remove for future
cable installation.

     I'll probably think of a few more things on this subject.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Edward Sylvester <navydude1962@yahoo.com>