Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of Crank-ups

To: towertalk@contesting.com, mryan001@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of Crank-ups
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:05:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2006 8:16:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  With all the talk lately of crank-up towers, there must be  some "already
users" that can answer this question.  What does one use  to grease the
INSIDE of the telescoping sections to keep them from  'squeaking' as they go
up and down?  I have heard of something called  Lubri-Plate but have never
seen it.  Anyone have some thoughts on this  and are you greasing the cables
as well?--

        Umm, I'd say what you want  to do is almost impossible. US Tower uses
paraffin to coat the inside of the  legs of their lattice towers during
assembly but I don't think they use anything  on the tubulars.

        You could extend the tower  horizontally and then extend the sections
but this is probably not too  practical. (This is the method used for
replacing and lubing the cables.)

        Anything that you'd use  would wear off/wash off in a short amount of
time anyway so I wouldn't bother  doing it.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams