[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Structural engineer in IL?

To: "Jim McDonald" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Structural engineer in IL?
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 06:33:39 -0700
List-post: <>
At 05:58 AM 7/23/2006, Jim McDonald wrote:
>I'm looking for an IL structural PE to review the calcs for a ham tower
>permit application.  I have all the calcs and previous permits I've gotten
>in AZ and NM for my US Tower HDX-589 motorized crank-up, so I'd think a
>local PE could just review them and provide a wet seal for McHenry County,
>which is NW of Chicago.  I also have a copy of US Tower's standard set of
>drawings and calcs with their CA PEs seal.

You should be aware that in most jurisdictions, it's illegal for a PE to 
just "review and stamp".  The stamp indicates that the stuff stamped was 
either prepared by the PE or under their direct supervision.  A PE can do a 
"report and evaluation" and stamp that, but wouldn't be able to stamp the 
actual drawings and calcs, unless they redid them.

That said, having the existing calculations and drawings in front of you 
would make redoing them a pretty straightforward and inexpensive process.

The basis for these sorts of rules is  that a local PE brings local 
knowledge to the process (what your local jurisdiction wants to see for 
soil strength, etc.).  There is also, in some cases, a bit of  protectionism.

BTW, have you checked to see if the PEs that did the drawings you DO have 
might have registration (called "comity") in your state?  That would solve 
the problem instantly.  Assuming you have original wet stamped drawings.

Jim, W6RMK 


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>