Re: [TowerTalk] Towers and Sea Birds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers and Sea Birds
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:17:58 -0400

>> The bird is not scared off by the motion of the roatating tower, the
>> raising
>> or lowering of the tower but only my shaking the cables which are running
>> off the top from the antennas.  The rotor brake activation will scare
>> most
>> small birds, but this guy doesn't get spooked by much.  - Mike
>
> "Ohhhh, tough guy, eh?"  Curly from the Three Stooges
>
> Perhaps a windshield wiper motor with some heavy
> fiberglass lawn edger filaments tied to it?  That

Some WW motors create a lot of RF hash and some don't.

> might make a similar noise strapped to the tower,
> and the wiper motor should be about indestructible.
>
> I wonder how he'd respond to a strobe light?
>
> What about a high amplitude tone burst generator,
> one whose frequency you could vary from the shack
> until you discovered what frequency he'd find most
> disagreeable?

If you find what works, let me know. I had a *bunch* of Cormorants decide
mine was a good place to roost. I gained new respect for the boom, elements,
and truss for that C3i 7L 6-meter beam.  Too bad they aren't around any
more.

I'll have to try and find the photos of those guys setting up there.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com