[TowerTalk] Homemade tower base for HG-70HD

To: "Tower Talk Reflector" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homemade tower base for HG-70HD
From: "Allen R. Brier" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:13:39 -0500
I bought a used Hy-Gain HG-70HD tower. The guy I bought it from built a
homemade rebar base for it. I would like to get some guidance from the group
on the following issues:

1.      Size of rebar: I need to convert the diameter to rebar "size"
2.      Welding: The rebar cage has been welded, not wired together.
3.      Rust: The rebar cage is quite rusted. I assume that I will need to
clean the rust to achieve good contact with the concrete.
4.      Design: Does anybody have the design for the HG-70HD base? Of
course, I can probably use a base for a similar size tower as a go-by.

I would appreciate any input I could get to determine if this FREE base is
good enough, or should I purchase a new one from Hy-Gain for $349(?) I will
be happy to photograph this base and send it to anyone nice enough to
evaluate it. I want to make sure the tower stays up in the worst on
conditions. I know the base is a critical part of that and I just want to
make sure it is ok.

Thanks and 73,

Allen Ross Brier, N5XZ SET

BriTech Systems Incorporated

NICET Fire Alarm Level IV

NICET Sp. Hazards / Sprinkler Systems Level I

1515 Windloch Lane

Richmond, Texas 77469-2553

(281) 342-1590

(281) 342-0940 (FAX)