Re: [TowerTalk] personal rf meter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] personal rf meter
From: "Nason, Kevan (GE Infra, Energy, Non-GE)" <kevan.nason@ps.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:36:03 -0400
Cary,

Another line-of-sight point-to-point program is MicroDEM
by Dr. Peter Guth of the USNA. It does quite a bit more
too, like ground terrain mapping for use in HTFA, overlay's
of road maps for mobile use, for portable location there is
a "view shed" option to show all terrain line of sight
available from a given location (sounded great for mountain
top VHF/UHF contesting to me), flood analysis of various
terrains to make sure you don't set up a shelter or
emergency station someplace where you will later have
to move it, etc. There's a learning curve, but it does quite a bit.

I'd always thought more hams should get to using it. It's free too.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem.htm

Kevan Nason
NS4T