Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking tribanders (SteppIRs)

To: "'Terry Gerdes'" <terry@ab5k.net>, <rf@xemaps.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking tribanders (SteppIRs)
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:14:19 -0400
Terry,

Look carefully at the design of ANY stacking switch.  Many use a
single fixed 2:3 turn radio autotransformer  (2.25:1 impedance
ratio) as a compromise for both two antenna and three antenna
stacks.  In a 50 Ohm system this results in "best case" SWR of
1.13:1 with two antennas and 1.33:1 with three antennas.

There are techniques that will allow proper matching (switchable
taps or multiple transformers) with either two or three antennas
however, they are more expensive than the compromise designs.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com