[TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:17:23 -0700
Its been a very long time since I ran an HF KW from a residence.  At a new
QTH, I am contemplating doing so, using a yagi on a tower, say at 60 ft.  I
am now at a fairly dense subdivision, shown here on a google map.
See:

Click on:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Rocklin+CA&ie=UTF8&ll=38.780237,-121.260095&spn=0.004023,0.010815&t=h&om=1

I am in the house near the center of the aerial photo;  bounded by Lincoln
Ave to the West, Springview Drive to the East, South Whitney Blvd to the
North, and Glacier Drive  to the South.

The house has a  race track-shaped blue color,  swimming pool in the back
yard.   Roughly center of the photo.  As you can see, an arbitrary radius
circle of say 500 ft, ecompasses a large number of houses, perhaps 60 or 70.

Question is:
What has others experience been while running KW level HF stations, as to
typical or maximum distances from your station tower/antenna, to homes
experiencing objectionable RFI to various home electronics.  If say, 500
feet, in my case I may irritate 60 or 70 households.  If the RFI affected
radius is larger, I am in even more trouble with neighbors..
Raising the antenna from, (small multiband yagi) say, a  modest 40 ft to,
say 70 feet... will that ameliorate the neighborhood  RFI very much for an
HF KW?

Maybe I should think towards building a club/Public Service/Contest oriented
station at a location near, but out of subdivision interiors.....OR...Going
QRP.....

Tnx

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599