Re: [TowerTalk] WD8RXP Tower

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WD8RXP Tower
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:59:09 -0400

> It was on the cover of QST, January 1987. I have the issue here somewhere.
> I had a friend (now SK)who >was building something similar, but his
> pocketbook,health, and resistance from spouse kept him from finishing >it.
> He actually started too big on the bottom.It was 10 feet square at the
> bottom, and it was still 7 feet square

John's was actually larger than that.  I think it was 17' between the legs
at the base. I know I could drive my car under it.

>at the 60 foot level.AFAIK, it is still standing. I would like to see more
>pictures of that tower, Roger.

I didn't even know it was going to be in QST let alone the cover photo.
That sure was a suprise when it arrived.  Norm Keyon (WA8AEG) who wrote the
article brought over a cover for me.

>Speaking of towers, does anyone remember the issue in QST of the picture of
>the 280 foot tower that ?>W5VA had at his TV station (his second ham
>station was W5AI there) that held up a 3-el. 40m Telrex? The >tower was
>actually a relay tower to get network feed but there was space at the

It sounds familiar, but I can't place it.  If you have an issue date I can
look it up as I have the set on CD.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2 (Use return address from home page)