Re: [TowerTalk] Testing ICE arrestors

To: Jim McDonald <jim@n7us.net>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Testing ICE arrestors
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:54:09 -0500
An Ohmmeter should read a fraction of an Ohm from antenna terminal to
case through an inductor and many KOhms from rig to case through a
static bleed resistor.  It should read open from antenna terminal to rig
terminal because of a blocking capacitor between those terminals.  I
wouldn't use a megger or hi-pot on that capacitor; though it is a high
voltage capacitor, I'm not sure it's rated high enough for that test.
Call ICE and ask.  If the gas tube is shorted, which is one of the
failure modes of gas tubes, the SWR will be high when RF is applied to a
matching load through the arrestor.

The surge suppressor for ICE rotator controls uses MOVs in parallel with
capacitors for each lead.  Typical failure modes of each is a short
circuit or low resistance.  I wouldn't hi-pot them, either.  Energy from
the hi-pot may cause an MOV to fail if it is applied for too long a time.

73 de WOØW