Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Rotor
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:09:27 -0400

> Hi fellas:
>
> I have recently acquired a Ham IV Rotor and CDE controller. I am planning
> on getting some Rohn 25 and mounting the rotor.
>
>>From what I understand I will need a Thrust Bearing for load and a Rotor
>>Plate.

It depends on what you have for a top section along with the size of the
antenna.

If you have a conventional ROHN 25G top section it tapers to a tube about a
foot to 16 inches long.  Normally this would be plenty for most antennas the
Ham IV is capable of handeling.

> (not sure about the thrust bearing) But, I can make the Rotor Plate from
> scrap iron with the help of one of the guys from work (a
> welder) but don't know the dimensions to make it from.

I don't have a template but rotator plates are quite common for the 25G and
as I recall they aren't very expensive.  To top it off they are well
galvanized so rusting isn't usually a problem.  I'd try to find a regual
plate as it will also have the holes already drilled to fit the ham IV
mounting bolts so the rotator will be centered and there's an opening to
match the terminal strip on the bottom of the rotator.

The standard rotator plate is a tad less than 1/8" thick.   Probably 3/32",
is cut to fit the inside shape of the tower, (Triangular shape with squared
off corners) and has something on the order of 1 1/2 or 2" steel angle
welded in place that can be U-bolted to the tower legs. That leaves one side
of the angle flat on the rotator plate and the other sticking up. (Were it
longer the angle would be laying horizontal)

If need be I can shoot a photo of a rotator plate for a 45G.  The only
difference is scale, weight, and cost.     <:-))

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)