[TowerTalk] Basic Tower Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Basic Tower Question
From: <k8jdc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:01:30 -0400
All,

    I don't have any experience with towers of any sort.  Recently, I've been
doing some research to get familiar with tower installation issues and so on.
I have a pretty basic tower-related question.

     I see small towers for TV antennas around my neighborhood that appear to
be constructed with something roughly equivalent to Rohn 20 (or maybe even
smaller).  Some of these towers approach 40-50 feet by my rough guess.  For
small-frame towers like these, I'm wondering if they actually climbed these
things to install the antennas or if they put the antennas and rotators on top
and then tilted the thing upright for installation.  I ask this because some of
these towers look small enough that I wouldn't want to climb them (although, to
be fair, I'm not a brave climbing type anyway and am not sure I will ever be a
brave climbing type even with redundant climbing harnesses).  I also ask
because many of these towers I see around are not guyed like ham towers would
be.  Most of them seem to be bracketed to the house, but that's all and that
seems to make for an exciting climb on a small-frame tower, many of which are
now in somewhat of a rusty state.

      Just curious...

Dave / K8JDC