[TowerTalk] Damaged Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Damaged Tower
From: JMLTINC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:06:26 EDT
Hey all,

I have 55' of Rohn 25 with a single set of guys at the top. It is
house-bracketed at about 15', just below the top of the first full section. It
has a
pretty good load on it. Today, a tree came down on one of the guys. The tower
was
listing and I thought it was bent. One of the legs (the one opposite the
impacted guy) at the joint just above the bracket was pulled upward, elongating
the
bolt holes (and making pretzels of the bolts). A come-along put the section
back into position.

None of the sections appear to be bent, but I expect at least, the bolt holes
are elongated, as the sections above the joint on which I I replaced the
bolts still list. A bit of tension on the guys straightened the tower again.
Can I
drill the elongated holes oversized?

Thanks,
John, N9RF