Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

To:,"'Tower Talk Reflector'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:09:12 -0700
At 10:32 PM 8/13/2006, Allen R. Brier wrote:
>What is the best/easiest method to sink ground rods? I know the trick of
>using water to fill the hole several times to make it easy, but I have also
>heard that the ground contact is not as good using this method vs. pounding
>the rod in the hard way, in dry ground. Which is best?

Rent, or borrow, a rotary percussion hammer with the ground rod driving
attachment. The latter is a little thing that looks kind of like a standard
socket for a 1/2" drive socket, except it's smooth inside and fits right
over the end of the rod.  The one I rented had a sort of twist-lock/camming
action to grab the rod (or, more likely, to release the rod when you were