Re: [TowerTalk] UST base grouting

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jperalta@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST base grouting
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:23:39 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2006 11:35:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  A friend and I were discussing his installation of a UST  TX-455. I
mentioned that it's a good idea to use a non-shrinking grout  under the
base. To which he replied that UST said that grouting isn't  needed if
the leveling bolts are used. I checked their website and the  TX-455
foundations diagram does state this.

>  I was  thinking that if the leveling bolts are used that is when grouting
was  needed. If for nothing else to keep water from standing around the
bolts.  Doesn't the grout provide some load support for the base? And if
you don't  use leveling bolts and the base is setting directly on the
slab how could  you use the grout.

    Yes, the grout takes some of the vertical load -  that's why you're
supposed to use non-shrink grout. The problem is that it's  not easily
available. I
get mine thru a masonry supply store but they don't  sell at retail. Your big
box hardware stores are hard pressed to have it so  using it becomes a little
problematic.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -