Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
Tom,

Lets assume your total coax cable length is 500 feet from your transmitter, out
to your tower, up the tower, then to the C31XR feedpoint.

Here are the loss figures in feet per dB for various common coaxial cables:

CABLE ATTENUATION (feet per dB)

             14.0  21.0  28.0

LDF5-50A     714   588   526
3/4" CATV    769   588   435
LDF4-50A     588   400   323
9913         220   190   155
RG-213       130   100    83

As you can see, RG-213 would have just over 6 dB of loss on 10 meters, and
nearly 4 dB on 20 meters.  You would do about as well with a dipole immediately
next to your house!  Even 9913 has over 3 dB of loss on 10M and almost 2.5 dB
on 20M.  However...  notice that good old 3/4 inch 75 ohm CATV cable performs
really well, with  slightly over 1 dB of loss in your situation.   If you're a
purist, you could purchase 500 feet of Andrew LDF5-50A, but that would set you
back about the same amount as your tower and beam!

73!
Frank
W3LPL