Re: [TowerTalk] . Re: 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] . Re: 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards
From: Bill Ogden <>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:20:33 -0400
The BW price seems a little high, considering they are advertising in a ham
magazine. However, please think a little before claiming it is an almost
useless antenna. I believe it consumes up to half the input power in the
resistor. Half is 3 db.  On the classic scale, this is half an S unit
although it is probably closer to one S unit on most receivers.  There are
many instances of communication, ham and otherwise, where trading one S
unit for easy setup and wide frequency matching provides a reasonable
tradeoff.  For receiving on the HF bands, efficiency is not required since
the inefficiency of the antenna reduces both signal and atmospheric noise

It is simply not true that a larger antenna transmits better than a smaller
one. Provided one can load the antenna without encountering excessive
losses there is little difference between a large and small antenna in
terms of transmitting efficiency. (Direction control is a different matter,
of course.) As an antenna becomes smaller (in terms of wavelength) it
becomes more of a challenge to match it to the transmission line and
transmitter and *this* factor can be a significant limitation.

I do not have either antenna and am not considering either one. I do like
to avoid, or at least identify, old wives tales.

Bill - W2WO