[TowerTalk] Bolts in aluminum towers

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bolts in aluminum towers
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:48:56 -0500
I observed similar degradation of bolts in a tower that stood in a
metropolitan area for about 10 years. The center portion of the bolts
was substantially reduced in diameter, though the sections supporting
the tower legs was unaffected and the tower legs were unaffected.
Failure would have followed separation of the bolts.  My conclusion, and
I believe this is recommended by Universal, is that the bolts should be
inspected every 5 years.

73 de WOØW

Don Havlicek wrote:

The electrolysis is internal to the tower legs.
If you remove a tower bolt, you will find it is no longer cylindrical in
shape, but may even look 'coke-bottle' shaped from degredation.
On my Universal towers, I coat the bolts with silicone seal before
assembly/insertion in the tower legs to minimize damage.