Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different (TrueNorth)

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different (TrueNorth)
From: "Mike Murphy" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:03:58 -0400
Thanks for your reply. Where I am in my time zone should not matter provided
I use the "local noon" or sun transit time. The Naval Observatory
tells me that my local noon (Raleigh, NC) occurred today at 1:16PM local
time. For Greensboro, about 65 miles west of Raleigh, it occurred at 1:21PM
or 5 minutes later. If I set up the sticks as Jack described at local noon
(he called it high noon) then the shadow from the plumb stick lies on a
north - south line at that time.

Mike, WA4BPJ

Each time zone is 15 degrees wide [15 zones x24 hours =360 degrees] If some
one lives at the 'edge' of one of those time zones, they can be
7.5 [or more] degrees off the time zone meridian.  Therefore, at Noon local
time, they will NOT have the sun directly South/North [depending on location
relative to the Equator].  Only those who live EXACTLY on the time zone
meridian will!
The sun doesn't shift in 15 degree increments .. at least it doesn't do that