Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different(TrueNorth)

To: Joe - WDØM <WD0M@centurytel.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different(TrueNorth)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:51:21 -0700
At 07:34 AM 8/28/2006, Joe - WDØM wrote:
>I use my GPS receiver.  Walk from the tower base
>to what you believe is close to true north, then
>check your return path - it should be 180
>degrees.  If not, then repeat the process until
>you find it.  Before returning to the tower base,
>place an object at the furthest north point so
>you can use it to align your antenna.

There are some subtleties with GPS.. particularly if there's things around
that can cause multipath.  The typical probable error circle is going to be
in the few meters range, so, to get 1 degree accuracy, the two points
measured with GPS need to be 100 meters or so apart.  Most receivers these
days give you an estimated position error to help with figuring out how far
you need to walk.

Also, be aware that the different grids and datums do not always have north
aligned at all points (it's that flat map on round earth thing..)

Again, these are for subtle (sub degree) kinds of precision. If all you're
doing is pointing your antenna within 5-10 degrees, then lots of things
will work, well enough.