[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 rust

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 rust
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:51:19 -0700
Hello -

I have a question about my tower in Barbados.  The environment down
there is brutal and corrosion is a constant battle.  Over 5 years, I
have managed to get control over a rust problem on my Rohn 25.  However,
on a recent trip, I noticed some areas under tape and cables that have
deteriorated since they were out of site.

What I have is a couple of bubbles that, when pierced, the rust flaked
away.  In one case the removed rust exposed a small hole, about 1/16",
all the way through one of the legs.  There was also an area around it,
about 1/4" by 3/4" that is thinned out.  The second bubble left a
smaller depression.

I used a similar coating that worked on the other rusty areas, but this
is the most severely damaged area.  I suspect that I will be able to
arrest the rust.  My question is how much I have compromised the
strength of the leg.  Also, since there is an actual hole, what would
this group recommend I do about it.

The section in question is the flat top section of an 88 foot tower.
The hole is few inches above the guy assembly and the other spot is
about a foot below the guy assembly.

Thanks and 73

Tom W2SC