Re: [TowerTalk] Keeping antenna for rotating on mast

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Keeping antenna for rotating on mast
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:23:16 -0400
I didn't catch the part about it being the antenna. If so, depending on the
mast I'd not be afraid to pin it, but generally the good clamps have a
center bolt that is sufficient, but can be replaced with a longer through
bolt. OTOH on some clamps that particular location would line up with the
boom without enough clearance for a bolt head. Pinning above or below the
boom centerline *may* give asymmetrical loads on the mast, ending up with
the boom wanting to rock up and down.

> Sounds to me like he said "the antenna rotates on the mast," and not "the
> mast twists inside the rotator clamps."  There's a difference, although
> the
> suggestion that pinning stuff can lead to rotator destruction is pretty
> valid and which part actually rotates may not matter much.
> Still, some boom-to-mast clamps aren't very good and I've seem some that
> are
> downright inadequate.
> I pin everything with a HAM-IV and it takes the beating okay...however
> it's
> not overloaded at all, and is only turning about half its rated load.

I actually had a Ham IV or V under my big array to hold it in place after
the working rotator failed.  I only used it to hold things in place and
crossed my fingers every time the wind blew. OTOH that was one big load

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2 (Use return address from home page)
< snip >