Re: [TowerTalk] climbing belt

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] climbing belt
From: "Jason Creager" <jason@creager.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:08:44 -0800
>   Where is the best place to buy a tower safety climbing belt.?

"Tower safety climbing belt" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist. Using a waist
belt for fall protection results in broken pelvises and other injuries up to,
and including, death.

AES sells Glen Martin Full Body Harnesses for $90, $107, or  $237 depending on
how many options you want. The $107 model has four D-Rings, so get that one at
the very least because I *think* you can use the other two for positioning. The
$237 model has padded waist and leg straps. You will also need a shock
absorbing lanyard and various positioning lanyards or rope.

>   I have been using a homemade one that has been fine for a 40' tower but a
> bit cumbersome.

It's only been "fine" because it's never endured a real fall (thankfully).  You
probably will not be able to find a "safety belt" being manufactured today;
they'll likely be called "positioning belts" because that's their purpose in
life. You'll still need fall protection, so look for a harness with integrated
positioning points to save yourself some money and hassle.

Using a belt for fall protection on a tower is literally gambling with your
life.

Jason
KC0ERG