Re: [TowerTalk] Dismal Ground Rod / Hammer Drill Results Today

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dismal Ground Rod / Hammer Drill Results Today
From: "Doug Rehman" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:55:57 -0400
I bought the Harbor Freight demolition hammer
( for
$150 and a ground rod bit off eBay for $50. Put it on top of a ground rod
and it slides right in the ground here (Central Florida).

I actually had another purpose for buying the demo hammer- breaking up the
giant mound of concrete the driver left behind after cleaning out the

Before the demo hammer, I modified a cheap ($10) air hammer to drive ground
rods. I welded a socket onto the air hammer chisel (pointed end slipped into
the drive hole of the socket). It works, but you better have a decent
compressor to keep up the air flow. The weld usually broke after a ground
rod or two, but quick and easy to re-weld. The air hammer is MUCH slower
than the demo hammer.