[TowerTalk] Antenna Side-mounted to Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Side-mounted to Tower
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:05:57 -0500
I have never been one to mess with 2 meters but recently I have found an
interest and I am thinking of mounting an antenna on the side of my tower. I
intend to make the antenna and am thinking of a colinear design. I have been
told that if I make a J-Pole I will not be able to mount it to the side of
the tower even if I extend it out say 4 feet. Thus I am limited to a ground
plane. Can anyone give me some advise on this? How far away should an
antenna be so it does not effect the SWR? Is it true that the J-Pole will
not work next to the tower?

Thanks for your help.

73,
John, KA9OFM