Re: [TowerTalk] 10 inch tube 100ft wind load? NN7J

To: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@pclink.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10 inch tube 100ft wind load? NN7J
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:48:40 -0700
At 10:29 AM 8/31/2006, Robert Chudek - KØRC wrote:
>Dan,
>
>You can put your numbers through the WD9P mast calculator and see what you
>get, Here's the URL:  http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast/
>
>Free standing rotating tower systems like this have been engineered by
>HyGain (I think) and were called "Big Berthas". I knew of 3 installations
>in Minnesota, but nothing more. I'm sure other TT members can jump in with
>facts, figures, and stories about these types of installations.

This kind of structure is actually fairly common for things like
advertising signs and highway illumination, so I would imagine there are
(expensive) cookbook products out there.  Going to a 1/2" wall thickness
would make the mast alone weigh several tons.  A typical "high mast
lighting" pole of 100ft (which is far from the highest.. apparently, 200 ft
is typical in Texas) from Millerbernd is about 5400 lbs, 7.5" diameter at
the top, and 24.4" at the bottom.  From the dimensions, you could probably
figure out the wall thickness.

A tapered mast with 20 foot sections welded up would also probably be a
decent idea.  Greatly reduces the weight, while probably being stronger
overall.

You can even get them in "spun concrete", whatever that is:
http://www.stresscrete.com/