Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: Cushcraft A3 center insulator

To: 'K8RI on TowerTalk' <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: Cushcraft A3 center insulator
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:46:12 -0700
Guys, I've used PVC for this same application (A3-A4 and similar beams DE
center ins).

In one case, in a pinch, I bought a solid block of PVC from a local plastics
supplier (cost about $5), gave them a drawing of what I needed.  They put it
into a multi-axle CNC machining center and about ten minutes later I had a
custom made PVC center insulator for $25.  Took them more time to clamp the
block into a fixture than it did for the actual machining.

A lot of plastics shops can do this.  PVC is really strong, not bad for the
application.  This was the "black" stuff, UV tolerance seems pretty good --
the beam's been up for years with no sign of deterioration.

WB2WIK/6