Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

To: "Martin AA6E" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree
From: "michael taylor" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:37:04 -0400
On 9/3/06, Martin AA6E <> wrote:
> My tree guy frowns when he sees antenna ropes through tree crotches.  It
> can damage the tree.  He would like to have it reseated every so often
> so the tree can heal.  Much better, I think, to install a screw eye and
> use that for the antenna connection, allowing suitable strain reliefs.
> I wonder if there's any useful "ham thinking" about tree health.

There are two sections in ARRL's _Simple and Fun Antennas for Hams_,
in Chapter 4, "Using (and Abusing) Trees as Antennas Supports (W3AS)"
and "Guidance for Tree Climbers".

The first section is based upon an article that I believe appeared in
Sept 1989 of QST by Doug Brede W3AS entitled, "The Care and Feeding of
Antenna Support - the Tree".

The advice in these articles agree with your tree guy and the screw
eye suggestion.

-Michael Taylor, VE3TIX