[TowerTalk] Black fungus on copper wire

Subject: [TowerTalk] Black fungus on copper wire
From: "Donald Chester" <>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:25:49 +0000
I have noticed for several years now, that my copper-clad open wire feeders
accumulate a black crud that looks exactly like soot.  You can rub it off
with your fingers. Apparently it is some kind of fungus growth.  I suspect
it is the same stuff that grows on asphalt roof shingles around here and
leaves unsightly black streaks on the roof.  It doesn't grow on the
galvanised tower sections or guy wires, or on the insulators.  Sections of
the roof subjected to runoff from galvanised flashing remains fungus-free.

Wonder if anyone else has observed this phenomenon?  I don't think it
actually causes any harm to the performance the antenna or deterioration of
the structure, but I am curious if anyone else has noticed this on their

Don, k4kyv