The black is copper oxide and a poor conductor. Most common form of copper
degradation. Can form deep under insulation on coax and other insulated wire.
Resists soldering very well.
If the color on the Cu is a light to dark greenish blue you have copper
sulphate. A common mineral in many places and a very good chemical to get rid
of any mold, moss, or lichen on your roof. Also sometimes seem around Cu wire
near your cars battery as battery vents when they get older and internal
resistance rises. Not very common on antenna wired unless you live near a pulp
mill that still uses the sulphite process once very common in northwest.
Either of the products is depleting the copper in your wire. The oxide is
generally removed with a dilute acid and the sulphate with a dilute base.
FWIW neither is detrimental to signal but both to antenna life.
Do you Yahoo!?
Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail.
TowerTalk mailing list