[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Grips

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Grips
From: <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:48:03 -0400 (EDT)
List-post: <>
The Kellum grips commonly stocked by electrical suppliers are fabricated from 
plated steel wire.  In my experience, they fail in five years or less.  If not 
caught in time, their failure could result in damage to the cable being 
supported by the grip.   

Far more appropriate are grips intended for  T O W E R S  (do we still discuss 
towers on this reflector?).  Grips intended for towers are manufactured by 
Andrew and other companies that serve the tower industry, and are almost always 
available at affordable prices on e-bay.


---- Original message ----
>Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:20:54 +0000
>From: (Phil Camera)  
>Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable Grips  
>Kellum grips are a type of cable grip used my electricians and linemen.  They 
>at attached to the end of large diameter cables as an aid in pulling these 
>through conduits or stringing up wires to towers or poles.  Most are installed 
>on the end of a cable and terminate in a pulling eye to which you attach your 
>lifting rope.  The grip part, using the Chinese finger torture technique, 
>securly grips along a length of the cable being pulled and distributes the 
>forces so to not damage the cable jacket or the internals. You get these at 
>all industrial electrical supply houses (not sure about HD, etc.) or many 
>on-line sources.
>Phil  KB9CRY
>TowerTalk mailing list

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>