[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Grips

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Grips
From: Alan NV8A <>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:57:57 -0400
List-post: <>
Somewhere in all this stuff about Kellems (but perhaps in some of the 
messages from many years ago in the archive), there was a recommendation 
to use the tinned bronze ones rather than the plated steel ones.


Alan NV8A

On 09/06/06 04:48 pm wrote:

> The Kellum grips commonly stocked by electrical suppliers are fabricated from 
> plated steel wire.  In my experience, they fail in five years or less.  If 
> not caught in time, their failure could result in damage to the cable being 
> supported by the grip.   
> Far more appropriate are grips intended for  T O W E R S  (do we still 
> discuss towers on this reflector?).  Grips intended for towers are 
> manufactured by Andrew and other companies that serve the tower industry, and 
> are almost always available at affordable prices on e-bay.

>> Kellum grips are a type of cable grip used my electricians and linemen.  
>> They at attached to the end of large diameter cables as an aid in pulling 
>> these through conduits or stringing up wires to towers or poles.  Most are 
>> installed on the end of a cable and terminate in a pulling eye to which you 
>> attach your lifting rope.  The grip part, using the Chinese finger torture 
>> technique, securly grips along a length of the cable being pulled and 
>> distributes the forces so to not damage the cable jacket or the internals. 
>> You get these at all industrial electrical supply houses (not sure about HD, 
>> etc.) or many on-line sources.

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>