Re: [TowerTalk] Questions. Was: Photodocumentary of the W4XNTowerInstall

To: "'Alan NV8A'" <nv8a@att.net>,"'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Questions. Was: Photodocumentary of the W4XNTowerInstallation
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:57:13 -0400
> 1. Although I know that costs can vary from place to place, may I ask how
much
> it cost to construct your foundation, including excavation,
> building the cage, and pouring and finishing the concrete?

Concrete costs $100/yd here in rural west-central NH. Delivery charge of
$100 for less than 5 yards. Doesn't include costs of a pumper, if you need
one, or any of the finishing labor.

> 2. I notice that the hole ended up oversize and would thus
> have needed more concrete than planned. Who bore the cost of
> the extra concrete?

This happened to me when building the foundation for my 72' motorized
rotating US Tower tubular crankup. Since the job involved not only the tower
foundation, but also three 265' runs of buried conduit, a utility panel, and
AC feed, I  used a local building contractor (same firm that did extensive
renovations to our house.) He bid a fixed fee for the job.

The foreman warned me in advance that the backhoe operator would not be able
to dig a perfect 3'x3'x6' hole, but was confident that he could do 3'x4'x6'.
So that became the spec. I wasn't able to be present for the entire dig. By
the time I got there, the excavator had dug down 9 feet and there was water
in the bottom of the hole. The top of the hole must have been about 4'x5',
widening in a pyramid shape to probably 5'x6' at the bottom. Huge. When I
pointed out the mistake, the excavator filled in the bottom two feet of the
hole with gravel, making it about 7' deep. It took nearly a truckload of
concrete to fill that hole, about double what had originally been specified.

Of course, the contractor attempted to bill me for the extra concrete. I
refused on the basis that it was his responsibility to ensure the hole was
dug to the specification. He wasn't thrilled about it, but the relationship
continued after that, so I guess my refusal wasn't all that unexpected.

73, Dick WC1M