Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ: Home copper thefts rise

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ: Home copper thefts rise
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:07:44 -0700
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:24:07 -0500, Jim Chaggaris wrote:

>They'll steal anything that's around.

This is not such a new story. I grew up in West Virginia within the
shadow of three AM broadcast antennas, one of them a 4-tower array
where I spent a summer silver-soldering a ground system. We were
lucky -- ours wasn't stolen, we replaced it because we had trouble
keeping the array stable. Our next door neighbor, with 5 kW on 1470,
replaced his a couple of times a year. Each time, he would find the
copper in junk shops a few miles away. The thieves would actually
dig it up out of the ground!

Jim K9YC