[TowerTalk] ma550 question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ma550 question
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:22:09 -0400
The argument for the MA550 is completely aesthetic, in my mind.
The real question is whether, if motorized, one could convince
zoning to rate safety based on a retracted tower.  It would be
easy to have windspeed monitored, and store the antenna nested,
when not in use.  I would anticipate a topmast, placing a 3 el
steppIR @ 65'.  Height would be 'tuned' appropriate to the band
in use.  So nesting storage could be a normal event.

You'd still need a PE evaluation to get the permit, but it would
be a significantly more robust result.

From: <>

I think your money would be better spent  purchasing a stronger tower.

>  Steve commented.....MA towers are too light for the  job....
Before totally giving up on the MA tubular towers, I wonder if  anyone h
to have gotten an MA550 qualified for 90 mph with the  stipulation that the
top of the bottom section would be anchored to the  house.  I know it is not
ideal situation but might be something I  would be willing to try if it
get me over the  hump.

        That's an engineering  question. Time to get a PE or otherwise
knowledgeable engineer involved.

Steve    K7LXC