[TowerTalk] aluminium CATV hardline - cautionary tale(?)

Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminium CATV hardline - cautionary tale(?)
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:34:54 -0400
I just pulled up ~200 feet of CATV hardline that had been on the ground surface
here for 10 years.  It did not look particularly bad, and was not lossy, but
when I went to roll it up, attempting even a 4-foot diameter roll resulted in
multiple breaks in the outer jacket.  It seems either to have become embrittled
through exposure or perhaps even corroded down to a thickness too little to
stand the stress.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3226 contest stations