Re: [TowerTalk] Dipping The Tower

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipping The Tower
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:48:53 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:44:10 -0700 (PDT), John Cowan <w0tmm@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

>I have installed a shunt wire 16" from my 68' tower. I grounded the shunt wire
>with the two loops in the wire as is show Low Band Dxing. But, when I attach
>the dip meter coil to my MFJ-269 and put the dip coil inside the shunt wire
>coil, I cannot find a "dip" anywhere for the resonant frequency of the tower.
>I have made the shunt wire loop smaller and adding more turns to the loop.
>Nothing works.

The "dip" coil from MFJ is a total waste of time. I have one and found
it to be completely useless. Others have reported the same. Throw it
away.

Either use the MJF as an SWR analyzer (recommended) or get a real dip
meter like a Heathkit, Eico or Millen. A major problem with dipping
antennas is they are very low Q compared to a parallel resonant
circuit, so the dip is broad and shallow and hard to observe.

Bill, W6WRT