Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator

To: "'Dale Martin'" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator
From: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:00:30 -0700

It takes the weight of whatever is resting on it; in my case it takes the
weight of the tower and antenna.  A thrust bearing is also used in a manual
transmission to separate the clutch plates.

> <snip>
> >K8RI made a good point.. I assumed that you'd have another thrust
> >bearing at the bottom to hold the weight of the torque tube. If not,
> >then the entire weight of the tube will also be on your top
> thrust bearing.

I thought the purpose of a thrust bearing was to stabilize the mast
horizontally and not to take the weight of the mast/antenna array off the
rotator.  The set screws are adjusted to remove 'wobble' or mast slop and
not to take on the mast/array weight.

Or is that completely wrong?

73
Dale, kg5u