Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka for topband

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka for topband
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:19:18 -0400
From: "AD5VJ  Bob" <>

Hello everyone:

I am in a space limited environment and already have a double bazooka tuned
for 80 meters that works fine on 80 meters. I also have
a MFJ-949B Tuner and a manual antenna switch. Rig is an IC-775.

I have two antennas already going to the MFJ the double bazooka and a
TitanDX Vertical. Therefore both PL-259 connectors are being

I do have a random wire input to the tuner and a balanced wire input that
are open at this point.

Does anyone know of a way I can use the Double Bazooka tuned for 80 meters
(or something) at least for stateside work on 160.

Do you have room for a ground system?  If so, run the bazooka-dipole
feedline directly to ground,
put a relay there for bandswitching, and feed the coax against ground.

One word of caution...the balun inside the 949B won't tolerate a high vswr
and high
power.  If you try something using the balanced feed, it might tolerate the
775's output,
but don't do it with an amp.